Thursday 29 December 2016

An Historical Edifice

In Alan Moore's Jerusalem, read Henry's story to the end. Since I am a denizen of the late twentieth and early twenty first centuries, I have never seen a mark on a slave - but I did see a number on a Holocaust survivor. I wish we did not have to keep resisting racism and neo-Nazism - but we are the heirs of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

In Jerusalem, we appreciate the writing as it unfolds in every line and also the cumulative effect as the characters interact. We have entered the vestibule of an immense four dimensional structure. To discern the extent and shape of that structure will require at least one full rereading. I greet you from p. 205 of a first reading. I will arrive, changed, at p. 1174 at some time in my personal future.

No comments:

Post a Comment