Friday 6 January 2017

Life And Death

The child Michael asks:

"'How does it all work, then life and death?'"
-Alan Moore, Jerusalem (London, 2016), p. 412.

The demon is obliged to reply. Cue: exposition/infodump. We recognize Eternalism and kabbalistic theology. There are familiar characters here. Lilith is called Lil!

I need to be convinced that consciousness and memory are independent of the four dimensional realm and not merely an aspect of it. Even if every moment of my life somehow exists eternally, I do not expect to re-experience it.

Hell could be generated by re-experiencing our worst moments and Heaven by re-experiencing the best. We do this partly in memory. I do not expect to exist after death but, if I do, I expect that, instead of moving towards the light, I will be held back by my past actions. Meanwhile, we follow writers like Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Mike Carey upward in imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment